Draft2Digital provided a new POD (Print On Demand) paperback option in addition to ePub, Mobi, and PDF eBook file media. I said to myself. “Does it work?” Well, it’s close to being perfect formatting; but, you will need to do some doc or docx editing.
This was discovered when publishing my ePub eBook from a Word doc file with Draft2Digital help. Download PDF file for a paperback option appeared and I took it.
- Front matter and back matter, content formatted.
- Chapter body text fully justified except when centered desired.
- Drop cap styling in Word file ignored, not converted.
- Alternating book title & author name headers nicely created.
- Bullet lists & numbered lists were correctly formatted.
- 5 and 8.5-inch trim size only supported
What didn’t happen?
- Chapter beginnings didn’t always start on an odd numbered page.
- Didn’t use enough page breaks to align chapter beginnings to odd pages.
- No front & back and spine cover images were generated. You will need to produce your own covers.
- Page numbering and headers begin on the first page of the file.
Not bad for single pass through the publishing path producing an eBook of ePub or Mobi, a PDF, and a Print On Demand (POD) paperback. More research on my part will continue to see how close I may come to creating a paperback book.
My CreateSpace journey has been one of struggle because of my lack of printed book publication experience. Choosing the best trim size for my paperback books. Then selecting the appropriate margins, gutter and margins for the interior design of my books. Next up was the cover image front, back, and spine. My major struggle was with headers, footers, and page numbers in my books. The choice of heading and body text fonts seemed to never end until I found two I could live with on my cover and inside my book.
All the work and struggles occurred in Word for my CreateSpace books. Finally, a YouTube video showed me how to handle headers and footers for my paperback books.
Now the next major project is to convert all my eBooks into CreateSpace paperbacks. Holding a physical book, I wrote in my hands still delights me.
WHO HELPED ME?
Derek Murphy’s website https://www.youtube.com/user/holyblasphemy123 has new videos that will immensely help your CreateSpace works. He also gives good b
My second CreateSpace paperback book was published this week. I tracked the steps used to format a Word manuscript into a CreateSpace paperback. The third attempt went smoothly and is detailed in my upcoming paperback book titled, ”CreateSpace Quick & Easy Self-Publishing Guide.”
Launch date will be Friday, October 28. Amazon Kindle and Epub versions via Draft2Digital will be released together. CreateSpace version will be available the following week.
The glow of publishing another work of mine is fading; but the itch is growing for another non-fiction book. The hardest task facing me upon writing the last three manuscripts was delivering enough details to make these books worthwhile.
Need time to do some Fiverr gigs formatting Word manuscripts to ebooks. Check back later.