Draft2Digital provided a new POD (Print On Demand) paperback option in addition to ePub, Mobi, and PDF eBook file media. I said to myself. “Does it work?” Well, it’s close to being perfect formatting; but, you will need to do some doc or docx editing.
This was discovered when publishing my ePub eBook from a Word doc file with Draft2Digital help. Download PDF file for a paperback option appeared and I took it.
- Front matter and back matter, content formatted.
- Chapter body text fully justified except when centered desired.
- Drop cap styling in Word file ignored, not converted.
- Alternating book title & author name headers nicely created.
- Bullet lists & numbered lists were correctly formatted.
- 5 and 8.5-inch trim size only supported
What didn’t happen?
- Chapter beginnings didn’t always start on an odd numbered page.
- Didn’t use enough page breaks to align chapter beginnings to odd pages.
- No front & back and spine cover images were generated. You will need to produce your own covers.
- Page numbering and headers begin on the first page of the file.
Not bad for single pass through the publishing path producing an eBook of ePub or Mobi, a PDF, and a Print On Demand (POD) paperback. More research on my part will continue to see how close I may come to creating a paperback book.
The last week in March I’m launching a Self-publishing 101 online class for authors dealing specifically with eBook publishing for Amazon Kindle, or the Nook of Barnes and Noble, even Apple eBooks.
The lectures and videos have been assembled for this course. Do you want to be a beta student of the course? I can provide a coupon for a 66 percent discount off the course. Just email me at email@example.com with the subject line containing Coupon.
Let me know your criticisms and good points of the course. It’s the second of a proposed three course online curriculum.
- How to Write?
- How to Create an Ebook?
- How to Market an Ebook?
Just how do you create an eBook out of your written manuscript?
- First, by styling your word processor’s manuscript into normal paragraphs, headings, and book content sections your eBook should have
- Second, a good cover page for your book’s genre appealing to its readers.
- Third, would be a methodology for publishing the Mobi or Epub eBook.
- Fourth, its distribution to the marketplace through Kindle, Draft2Digital, or Reedsy.
The learning style is hands-on. You will create two fiction and two non-fiction eBooks during the course. The tools I selected will be explained and used by you in the course. You’ll get your hand dirty in the course, creating real eBooks.
Drop me a line!
This course will be opening soon once the vouchers are set. I want some beta students to take the course and comment on its weaknesses, suggest an improvement, and tell me what worked.
The course will guide you in the tasks of turning a word processing fiction or non-fiction manuscript into an eBook.
WHAT KIND OF AN EBOOK?
- An Amazon Kindle Mobi eBook
- An Epub eBook for Apple, Nook, Kobo
You will use Open Office or Microsoft Word software to write the book manuscript. How to turn to manuscript into HTML code will be addressed. Styling of the HTML code by CSS will be shown to you.
- Open Office or Word processor
- Internet HTML conversion website
- Notepad++ my favorite editor
- Sigil software will create Kindle and non-Kindle eBooks at will.
- Lectures, video screen captures of eBook production tasks. Coupled with a workbook in PDF, Epub, or Mobi format.
You will get your hands dirty creating four eBooks, two for fiction work and two for non-fiction. Writing templates for Word or OpenOffice are provided to you for download. Except for Microsoft Word the software I demonstrate to create eBooks are free. Note I said; you will create eBooks. I show you how and answer questions about the self-publishing tasks you perform. You may refer to my four eBooks as your behind the scenes reference.
This course will not teach you how to write, or produce paperback books. It’s all about making eBooks. You must do the exercises to get hands on learning. Otherwise, it’s just armchair learning not put in practice. Yes, I will mentor you to create eBooks.
If interested email me firstname.lastname@example.org for a course voucher for 66% off of the full price.